Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to VS without large run-time downloads by users

Status
Not open for further replies.

robpotter

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
Hi all,

What are alternatives to Visual Studio without requiring large run-time downloads by users.

I created a small app the new using VS 2005 but wanted to confirm whether C# always is dependent on the IL run-time interpreter that is part of .NET 2 (dotnetfx). With 24 MB size, that's a large file for download/distribution but users. Can the built EXE contain only the required class libraries. I note that developing in Java is even worse requiring the user install Java VM which is 112 MB.

Are there any recommendations to avoiding the large downloads required by .NET as well as Java that allow system class calls- e.g. VB etc.?

Thanks. Rob

Take a look at faq732-1808

Chip H.

Thanks for quick responses.

FYI- I am developing small utilities that will benefit from breadth of .NET classes. One of them uses the MD5 digest to encrypt/decrypt and integrates with MS-Office apps. Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back