Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to URL reporting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyanch

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
US
I use URL references to managed reports extensively. I have heard that they will be removing URL reporting from version 10? ARGH! how do other people handle the following situations.

I have one report that gives all the basic information about a particular catalog. Since catalog is the lowest denominator of many functions within the company many other reports include the catalog number(s). In almost every case that number is linked via URL to the basic information report. Since the basic information report is NOT static and changes on probably a monthly basis, I have removed all cases that is is called as an ondemand subreport to the URL. This eliminates editing many reports for a small change on one report. Without URL links how can I maintain this relationship???

The second case is our extensive intranet which is written in PHP. How can they call managed reports without using URL's (not a PHP programmer but if there is a way I would love to pass it on)?? I certainly can't tell them to rewrite the intranet in ASP!

Any suggestions?

Lisa

This was from Customer Support.

The reason I asked is that when I read your post, I went to cd/bizobjs to find out more, but couldn't really see where, at least in the main 'what's new' whitepaper where this is explicitely stated; I was just hoping to read the wording in order to understand more fully WHAT exactly they were doing to take this away. I mean, it seems like objects are still going to need ids, etc...Hm.

No, I don't have any great answers for your two probs, but I'm sure we'll all be having similar issues if this is the case :0

-p

I have this question in as a followup, I will post what they reply (and getting this one in writing ;))

Fortunately for me, it is only unmanaged reports that are not supported by URL. Since I only use managed reports except for a few early cases that haven't been updated to managed (and should be) this isn't going to be the problem I thought it was.

Here is their reponse:

"unmanaged reporting is no longer available in CE10. Unmanaged reporting is placing .rpt file in a virtual directory in IIS and calling it directly from URL in the browser ( If yo have embedded links in the reports pointing to .rpt in virtual directory, it needs to be updated. The link would be either pointing to asp which generates a report from CE(we have code sample, let me know if you need this) or using viewrpt.cwr with id of the reports(example: "

Have just seen this thread which was posted 18 months ago.

Have you folks successfully implemented URL Reporting (really unmanaged, i.e. call reportname directly, NOT using
viewrpt.cwr? but with report file directly similarly as follows:

Will this URL reporting functionality still work as is in CE/CR v10 ?
More importantly, will this URL reporting functionality still work in BO/CR XI ?

If not, how have you overcome this problem ?

Many thanks.

Unmanaged reporting does work in version 10

No, I have not run truly unmanaged reports. Just managed ones run via url.

Hi,
For CR XI, this part of the What's New doc seems to indicate that a form of URL reporting will be implemented with BOE XI:

Code:
URL reporting
URL-based report integration has been re-implemented as ASP, ASPX, and
JSP pages that are fully backward compatible with the old viewrpt.cwr
technology. This easy and popular method of report integration will continue
to be supported on standard application-server platforms.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back