Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to scripting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy1

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
IE
I'm quite new to web design and want to add a form to my site so users can enter their name and mail address. I will then mail them a username and passwird. That's fine but my ISP will not let me use servlets, ASP or any CGI scripting! Is there any way I can have a forms details mailed to me direct from the client like a mailto:([red]all-the-form-details[/red])

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Thanks

gussy1
Yes, there is an easy way to do this. You don't need any scripting at all, but it is not secure. If you can live with that, here it is.
Make a form tag, like so ...

Code:
<form action=&quot;mailto:address@website&quot; method=&quot;post&quot; enctype=&quot;text/plain&quot; name=&quot;FormName&quot;>

Using method=&quot;post&quot; sends everything on the form directly to the email address. The enctype=&quot;text/plain&quot; makes it all readable to a human.

Options are to put more in the mailto: address, such as
Code:
?subject=formsubject
and you could add a JavaScript function to verify that mandatory fields of the form have been filled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back