Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative UPS battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsx2000

Technical User
May 7, 2007
US
Has anyone tried using a deep cycle marine battery in their UPS?
Would this be safe if the battery and UPS were in a well vented garage? Thinking of using 2 marine batts with a Powerware 5110-1500 (1440va) as the run time off the original batts is too short.

Yep:

They can be overcharged, and thus may evaporate a good portion of the electrolite, so, they may not last as long as AGM/Gel types.

I use a battery box that is outside of my residence to power an APC Matrix 5000. It runs my computers and some critical loads inside the house. I am using the Everstart (Wal-Mart, god help me...).. 600CCA deep cycle batteries. 4 in series. Run time exceeds an hour at 90% load. (I don't know how long it will actually run or how long it takes to recharge)... All I can say is the run time is long enough for me to get my rotary backup generator online.

You will also need to insulate the battery housing if you keep it out in the cold like I do..

My only concern is the stress on the charging circuits in the UPS, but, have had no issues with it in over a year.

One other thing I should say. I have a spare Matrix with AGM packs as a standby solution, so, I don't have any issue with the current unit going T.U.... So, if you are using this on your only, critical and necessary UPS unit, I would think long and hard about doing this project...

Reply-to: netwraith@pcrd.net
thenetwraith (There is a picture here, but, you just can't see it!)

Thanks for the advice.
I've discovered that even my tiny Belkin 350VA will charge the 600AH marine batts without stressing. Just takes a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back