Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to scanpst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valk

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
GB
Is there any alternative to repair and possibly split at the same time large pst?
Thanks

Yes you can split a pst. I am assuming you have a pst larger then 2gig and are unable to run the repair tool? There is something called a pst shaver you can download. It will allow you to break the pst down into a managable size. You can then scan each section and repair it. Microsoft does not distribute this software so you will have to look out on the web for it. I forgot where I found mine but you should be able to do a search for it. As far as an alternative to repairing a pst...scanpst.exe is the only way I know of repairing a corrupted pst file. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

I am aware of the program, but it doesnt realy split the file, just let you shave about 25 to 50 mb from the pst, then run scanpst and if doesnt work you have to start all over again. I am wondering if there is a tool that will repair and split the folder at the same time and let you choose the size for each pst.

Splitting a PST is a manual process. There are no third party add-ons or tools that I am aware of.

However you can check this link but if it isn't there it probably doesn't exist. However you may find some help with the repair portion.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Hmm... you should be able to specify a split of about 500MB. I have the program at home and I can email it to you later if you'd like. Unfortunately you can only scan the portion you split. The first few bytes are the only ones that looks at when trying to open the file. If one of those bytes is corrupt the folder will not open. As long as you can shave even 50MB off you should be able to repair the pst. I've never heard of software that can split the entire pst and allow you to scan both sections. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back