Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to MS DPM 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
Hi All

I'm looking for a D2D2T solution for our file servers. I was looking at DPM 2007 which is pretty much perfect for what I'm after. However, we have file servers at branch offices that we'd like to also backup from a central location. The thing with DPM is, because it uses VSS, it may copy over an entire file depending on how the file gets saved to disk. Ideally I'm looking for a solution that can use block level synchronization to reduce the amount of data coming over the WAN each night.

Does anybody have any ideas of a solution we can use ? Or does anybody have experience with using DPM for backup up file servers over a WAN ? If so, did it work well ?

Thanks in advance

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

We use Ahsay OBS for online backup services. This is also ideal for the scenario that you outline. It support VSS for backup of open files and support in-file delta to support file block level copying to reduce the WAN load of overnight backups.

This does not provide D2D2T but D2D with offsite replication. Given that you have branch offices it might be possible to have a central backup server with a replication server at a secondary site or if this is not desirable an offsite replication server could be provided by any one of a number of Ahsay partners. If you look at their web site you will see a list of world wide partners and there should be one in whichever region you are.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Thanks for the reply Lee. From looking at the website and demos, it seems like OBS is designed for backing up for individual users from their client PC's - is this what you use it for ? I'm looking for a solution that will backup our servers likd DPM can

Also - are you using any software to backup the OBS server to tape ? Will it work OK with most backup solutions ?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Hi

CommVault has a solution that backs up remote sites to disk which after the first baseline will then do block level...this then can be backed up to tape at the central site whilst using deduplication

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

The OBS system is partly for backing up individual users but it is mainly for backing up and restoring servers. The web site is more aimed at individuals I think because they have a lot of partners who do this but the server functionality is very good as well.

I'm not entirely familiar with what DPM can do but I would be pretty confident that OBS can do what you need.

Tape backup can be done but due to the way that files are stored in OBS I don't believe that tape backups would be that useful. Better to actually replicate offsite.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back