Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to Ghost? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

search66

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
US
I'm a programmer turned IT Manager, and I'm in charge of setting up barebone PC's and equip them with our software, etc...

I'm not too familiar with Ghost, but does anyone suggest any other product that is better? Or, should I just bite the bullet and learn the ropes with it?

I'd basically like to have ONE pc with all of our goodies on it, and then smack the image onto new PC's instead of re-installing everything.

-Shane

PowerQuest also makes some desktop imaging software that is very similar in quality to ghost. But if you already have ghost I would recommend using it. Learning the ropes will not take long as it is very easy to work with.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the answer, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Thanks again!

Set the PC up exactly as you want it. Ghost takes 2 minutes to learn.

If you've got Windows 2000 Pro as the OS you can push the image up to the 2000 Server and then each PC you just connect to the network and pull down whichever image you want.

Really cool tool.

I think I'm going to check it out. Currently we run NT4, but I'm in the process of migrating to 2000.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give it a wing.

You can do the same with NT4 and it really works well.

The Old Man

There is also an ADD ON for MS RIS server in Win2k from 3COM
that makes it possible to Network boot any bootable image like an DOS BOOTIMAGE instead of only Win2k Pro images.

One question about the ghost images, when your installing the image doesn't the computer name conflict with the original PC? Or does it change on it's own or does the admin have to take care of it. Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE

You will have to change the name of the PC after you install the Ghost Image.

You can use (and must) Microsofts Sysprep utility to manage the computer name changing. This also changes and assigns a unique SID during the mini setup. If you do not use a SID changer, all the PC's on the network will have the same SID which is a security issue.

I've been doing computer rollouts for 4 years now using Ghost. About 800 desktops PC's and 200 laptops per year, plus 50 workstations, and ~50 servers. I've been responsible for the dekstops and laptops over that time. I used Drive Image Pro for a smaller client, and Ghost is far superior.

Check out Altiris makes Ghost look like win 3.1 vs. W2K.
With the PC transplant utility you can migrate user settings not just OS & Apps. Also don't get goofy issues w/Ghost & boot partitions.

What version of windows will you be using? What type of servers will you be using (windows, Novell)? I've been using ghost for about 2 yrs. I've got some extensive files that could possibley help you with your project. I manage about 3,500 pc/laptops, ranging from 350 all the way to 1.8gig. I have one image for desktops and one image for laptops that works on all models. Give me some info. on your situation and I might be able to help.

If it is used correctly it is the best thing out on the market. I've used it about 2 yrs now and have no problems. What type of servers are you using in ur infrustructure?
I manage over 3,500 pc/laptops and use onely one image for the desktops and one for the laptops. The pc's / laptops range from 350 to 1.8 gig hertz. If you need some questions answered I would be willing to help.

Just setup ghost console to do all your imaging for you with boot partitions on the computers. It does the SID change and name change and all ip changes for you. Once it is setup you can just forget about it as it is so easy to manage.

Why bother w/boot partitions?
Use PXE...oh yeah Ghost can't do that.

The name you will need to change so before imaging you should give the machine some name like ntimage(date) or whatever, also remove the machine from the domain. After loading the image you can then run ghstwalk.exe to change the sid on an NT4 machine.

I find Altiris more flexible than Ghost - and superior in many ways, including that it's slightly faster. I found that I can image a Windows 2000 server in just under 15 minutes across the network - including updating the SID.

(One more vote!) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I use Ghost extensively and I would suggest biting the bullet and learning it. It is a very powerful product and can make your job very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back