Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Altering previewed crystal reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

gav12345

Programmer
Dec 4, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have what is a fairly general question, but would really appreciate any feedback.

We're undertaking a development project just now, in which Crystal Reports and Enterprise 10 are set to play a fairly important part. The general idea is to call a Crystal Report stored on CE10 from an ASP.NET web app via a URL string, but to then allow the user to modify the previewed report if required. This modification might involve moving around the report columns, adjust column widths and row heights and altering the page orientation. The user could then save the report / print it as required. I know there is a CE10 ad-hoc tool out there which we've had a look at, but in its present incarnation this is fairly limited, and it also doesn't support crosstab objects which are fairly crucial to us.

So, with this in mind what is the best way to allow user mofication of the reports? Programatically within .NET? By somehow opening the report in the CR10 designer?

This is a bit of a sticking point for me at present so I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks, Gavin

I think that what BO offers is the best there is for allowing users to modify reports.

It dcertainly isn't optimal, but to get the Crystal designer funcitonality, I think that you'll need to have Crystal designer available to the user.

-k

Thanks synapsevampire. - Yes, I've had a look at the BO WebIntelligence product which does seem to offer most of what we need. Unfortunately this raises various other issues such as cost (as always), training and of course incompatibility with our existing Crystal Reports. Really would prefer not to resort to the CR10 designer but this may be the only realistic option for us. Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back