Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Also want to increase disk capacity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmoloney

Technical User
Aug 18, 2002
AU
Like others in recent threads I want to increase disk capacity on a PC330 server & also a NF5500M10.
My questions are about how to decide which disks to use. I have checked the ibm site to get specs. However neither machine currently has disks with P/Nrs, Fru/Nrs or model numbers specified on the IBM pages and as they are still in orginal fitout I assume a wider spec selection is possible than the IBM pages suggest.
Q1) Can these machines both run the same 1" high drives?
Q2) Is there a way to know if a disk model is compatible when there there is no IBM parts reference on it (or a different IBM parts reference to the one on the IBM pages)?
Q3) How can I know if a disk vendor is selling me SCSI, 80pin hotswap drives that are NOT compatible?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is to learn if there are technology barriers that would prevent ANY 80 pin hotswap 1"high 18.2gb SCSi drive from working in there?
Thanks
Chris

I believed there are no barriers sort of what you were reffering to but the only problem that im seeing is when you ask IBM to suppport your machine, you might have a problem due to different part number or should i say diffent rand you are using. As always, if its not PURE IBM parts all they are going to tell you is they do not assure stability and they do not recommend at all. Nonetheless, you can use any other scsi drives if you want to..

If you are looking for part numbers of your disks..here it is.
AS for your model number netfinity 5500, it has been withdrawn since year 2000 of March. You can try to get try to order form IBM these parts or those whose selling refurbished parts.Connections on your current configs so you have to check inside.

Fixed Disks / Diskette Drives
---------------------------------------
Netfinity 9.1 GB Wide Ultra SCSI 01K8053
SCA-2 SL HDD
Netfinity 18.2 GB Wide Ultra SCSI 01K8055
SCA-2 HDD
Netfinity 4.51 GB 10K Wide Ultra 01K8009
SCSI SCA-2 HDD
Netfinity 9.1 GB 10K Wide Ultra 01K8010
SCSI SCA-2 HDD
Netfinity 9.1 GB 10K Wide Ultra SCSI 01K8054
SCA-2 SL HDD
Netfinity 18.2 GB 10K Wide Ultra SCSI 01K8503
SCA-2 HDD
Netfinity 18.2 GB Wide Ultra SCSI 02K0440
Hot-Swap SL HDD
Netfinity 36.4 GB Wide Ultra SCSI 02K0441
Hot-Swap HDD
Netfinity 9.1 GB 10K-3 Wide Ultra SCSI 36L9806
Hot-Swap SL HDD
Netfinity 18.2 GB 10K-3 Wide Ultra SCSI 36L9807
Hot-Swap SL HDD
Netfinity 36.4 GB 10K-3 Wide Ultra SCSI 36L9808
Hot-Swap HDD

The PC Server 330 and the Nefinity 5500M10 do not use the same HDDs. The single biggest difference is the tray assembly. The PC Server 330 used a conventional 68-pin HDD, and the older Type 3 trays - made from sheet metal and had a bult-in adapter to convert the 68-pin + the power plug to an 80-pin configuration. The 5500M10 used 80-pin HDDs and were provided in a plastic tray assembly. The easiest means to determine the appropriate part number is to look at IBM's site for the servers: and enter the machine type/model (8661-xxx) in the Quickpath box, then look at Parts information > Hard Disk Drives. This will give you the part number (HDD + tray assembly) or the FRU number (HDD only). The only real barrier to using any vendor's HDD is that for both servers, it must be installed into the appropriate tray assemble to physically install the HDD in the server. When installing the HDD into the tray, pay attention to the screw hole used by IBM to make sure the HDD stick out past the tray the correct distance. If not, you could damage the backplane and since your machine is likely out of warranty, it could be expensive to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back