Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alsec html property? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNome

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2011
US
hi everyone

I posted a thread on a weird html property called alsec that doesn't seem to respond to VB if/then like it should. Didn't get any responses so thought I'd try posting it in a more specific forum to the issue:

thx for your help
C

I answered in your other thread, but just so anybody finding this doesn;t have to go there:

alsec is not a standard html attribute, so no language is going to know what it is. Its probably just a custom property for the page developer to keep some information.

If you can guarantee the value you want is always going to be there, then a direct access as you tried above would work.

If the developer is using it for something else or maybe not at all sometimes then you would get unexpected results from it.

By the way, scraping content unless given explicit permission form the website owner is considered a big no-no.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

it's just weird that

for each link in htmldoc.links
if link.alsec = "identifier" then
msgbox link.innertext, link.alsec
end if
next

produces the correct information while

for each link in htmldoc.links
if link.alsec = "identifier" then
msgbox link.innertext
end if
next

produces almost every link in the links collection. why would that be?

sorry, there's an error above, the comma between links.innertext and links.alsec should be concatenate (&)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back