Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alsactl: alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmg

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
NZ
I've just migrated from Redhat9 to MDk10 Official. ALSA doesn't seem to be working properly with my SB Live 5.1 - I get the above error on boot.

Once booted though, I can log in as root, run through alsaconf and it starts ok and works fine after that (apart from XMMS sounding crap with the ALSA output plug-in - loads of crackles and pops with the PCM device turned up).

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix that?

I've also tried to switch back to OSS but those changes don't seem to take after a reboot (MDK10 still says its using the ALSA driver).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human invention in history...with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." -Mitch Ratcliffe

SB Live! 5.1 runs with the native emu10k module. Have you tried (with nothing like alsa interfering) to just do an 'modprobe emu10k' after boot and see what happens? I have a Live! 5.1 and that works fine for me, with no popping with pcm channel at high levels.

----
JBR

Hmmm - no - I'll have a look at that tonight - thanks!

Yeah - exactly the same hardware used to work completely fine in terms of both drivers loading and sound quality in Redhat9....

Thanks again.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human invention in history...with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." -Mitch Ratcliffe

My soundcard runs fine off the same driver (I know it's sblive but im not sure which version). Mdk actually configured everything for me. (unlike it did using sb16) i can post any config files relevant here if you want (it may be awhile till im online again but ill try)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back