Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alright Novell guru's

Status
Not open for further replies.

djl7780

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
I am new to novell but do know a little bit. MY netware 5 server has an abend everytime it is restarted. There is nothing going into the abend.log. I looked in the sys$log.err and the only thing I see right after the server has been rolled is "The NAV.NLM nlm has registered a file system hook" Could this be my problem? How do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dustin Landry
dlandry@mmrgrp.com
IT Manager CCNA, MCP

It sounds like Norton Antivirus is causing the problem. The first thing I would do is rem it out of the startup.ncf and restart the server.

Make sure the server starts up ok and is healthy.

Then, delete Norton and do a reinstall.

Hope this helps...

zr

Hi,

I have never seen NAV abend a server due to registering a system hook. If you take a look at Novell TID 1007772, you will see that this is just an informational message. The TID does not refer to NAV but it is close.

What are you running on the server? Are you running GroupWise, specifically GWIA? I have seen corrupted emails cause a server to abend on startup....but then I have seen other items do this too. I mention email because it is the most common.

Can you provide more detail?

NAV does not load from the startup, but I know what zr was trying to say above.

This is how I would tackle it: Remark everything you possible can (except for vitals) from the Autoexec.ncf file and restart the server. If the abend does not occur you know that the cause is one of the modules you just remarked out (directly or inderectly). Then start adding things back in. If it still abends with everything remarked out, then the cause is the OS and I recommend looking for and applying the latest patches.

Lou

Also, ensure your servers C: is not low on diskspace. Also check SYS if you can. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Nav is not that big of deal if it is just "Informational" I did find the module causing the abend. It is the CPQSCSA.nlm, which is the compaq storage agent. I updated that as Novell said on there website. Now I am having trouble with RCONSOLE. whenever I veiw the rconsole it hangs up and I can not type anything. Any suggestions? Dustin Landry
dlandry@mmrgrp.com
IT Manager CCNA, MCP

hi,

Try downloading ConsoleOne v1.3.4, which contains a new Rconsole.exe version, and install it onto the server. Then to make it run faster, copy it to your PC

Lou

Yes, NAV can cause the abend, depending on the version. Version 7.0 can cause issues with NW 5, depending on the server hardware you use.

The best way to "bandaid" this until you can upgrade the server software and/or the anti-virus is to do the following:

boot to the DOS command prompt (C:\nwserver>)
type server -na (this keeps it from loading autoexec.ncf)
at the console type "load nwconfig"
go to "NCF files options", the to "edit autoexec.ncf"
page down until you see "load vpstart.nlm" and put either a ";" or a "#" before it

restart the server - if it continues to abend the problem is elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back