Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alpha and Numeric Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv0719

MIS
Dec 19, 2002
US
Trying to resolve a formula error with a field that include both Alpha and Numeric data. There are some system generated text that I can account for but there's also user entered text that can be just about anything. I need to convert the field to a number field using the tonumber command which works until I run into an Alpha character. Below are the formulas I'm using to determine the data types in the report. The first one @ILGDNO is the problem one. The second line fails because of the multitude of options that users enter in the field when entering data in the system. Bit of a nightmare for a reporting perspective. Basically what I want is if the {itmldg.ilgdno} field is any alpha character then 1 else tonumber {itmldg.ilgdno}.

// PI3030 equals and inventory transacation.
// If not inventory then is it alpha or numeric
@ILGDNO
IF {itmldg.ilgdno}= "PI3030" THEN 0 ELSE
IF {itmldg.ilgdno}<> "PI3030" THEN TONUMBER ({itmldg.ilgdno})

@WHATISIT
//[00001 TO 50000] equals stock transfer order
//[50001 TO 99999] equals purchases
//[100000 TO 500000] equals sales
//[500001 TO 999999] equals production

IF {@ILGDNO} IN [00001 TO 50000] THEN 1 ELSE
IF {@ILGDNO} IN [50001 TO 99999] THEN 2 ELSE
IF {@ILGDNO} IN [100000 TO 500000] THEN 3 ELSE
IF {@ILGDNO} IN [500001 TO 999999] THEN 4 ELSE 0

@WHAT_ANSWER
IF {@WHATISIT}=1 THEN "STOCK TRANSFER" ELSE
IF {@WHATISIT}=2 THEN "PURCHASE" ELSE
IF {@WHATISIT}=3 THEN "SALES" ELSE
IF {@WHATISIT}=4 THEN "PRODUCTION"

@RECEIPT
// Is the transaction a receipt?
IF {@WHATISIT} <> [1 TO 4] AND
{ITMLDG.ILGRCN} >1 THEN 5

I do not see a isnumeric check, at least that will determine if there is a non-numeric character in the data. Then the question is how to you want to do when there is a non-numeric in the data.

How to you incorporate and 'isnumeric' check into the formula? Or is this a separate formula?

If it's not numeric I want to apply a number value to it for reporting/selection purposes.

--- Made some progress using the formula below.

IF {itmldg.ilgdno}= "PI3030" THEN 0 ELSE
IF {@ISNUMERIC} = TRUE THEN TONUMBER ({itmldg.ilgdno})

So for the IF {@ISNUMERIC} = TRUE THEN TONUMBER ({itmldg.ilgdno}) ELSE "What do you want to do here". It appears the data is preceded by a letter (i.e, PI3030). If you just want the numeric part then tonumber(mid({itmldg.ilgdno},2)). If it multiple letters or letters embedded into the number, then that gets a bit more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back