Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alot of arps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mober

Technical User
Jul 23, 2008
US
I have alot of Arp's in my network. Currently I have a Catalyst 3500 XL connected to another 3500 XL via two fiber ports. Is there a way I can cut down on the amount of arp broadcasting? If not is there a way I can keep the broadcasts in the local switch? I have toyed with the idea of adding subnets or vlan's, but adding a router would be impratical at this time.

I have toyed with the idea of adding subnets or vlan's
If you don't segment the network then the broadcasts will flow as they are now. Also, even if you do implement VLANs the broadcasts will still flow between switches if you extend the VLANs between them. Another option besides segmentation is static arp mappings, but I don't think you'll like that very much.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I have come across this in the past and it turned out that it was due to the local network not having a default gateway, the users could browse then lan and access the internet via a proxy so it was never noticed , however there was a default gateway configured but it never existed, this generated alot of arp requests.

that said i think 254 hosts per subnet is good pratice, if your brave you can up it to 512 addresses per subnet but where possible keep it to 254 or less

What %age of BW are these arps taking up? Are any links oversubscribed, or is this just an assessment to revamp for best practices across the NW?

/

You could look at greatly increasing the ARP timrout period on your switches.

How many hosts are on this network? Have you run a packet sniffer to examine these arps to determine if they are valid or not?

There are 20 PC's, 2 servers, and around 7 printers. I have done wiresharking and it seams to be coming from every pc in the network.

If you are referring to Reverse DNS. I have a zone configured for each subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back