Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Winhook question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlohaWahini

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US
I never tested this, but does anyone know if the FOH terminals are up by the time the BOH fires winhook?

Got a store that had some problems with their frequent diner data, for the like second time in 3 years. As somewhat of a weak backup procedure, I was going to have winhook copy the dsdata.mdb to the all three FOH terms. Yes, I know this is a solution with some flaws, but thus far it would have bailed us out in both cases. The batch file works, but the question is, when the actual EOD is going on, will the terminals be on the network, or rebooting?

Thanks

Generally winhook fires 10 minutes after Grinding the previous days data. Hopefully your terminals boot up faster than that :)

Adam

Yeah, I hoping they'll be rebooted by then, too. :)

Thanks Adam!

The winhook is fired by the BOH at the completion of the EOD. The master terminal runs the EOD and once the done30 is created in the dated subdirectory on the BOH the EOD is complete and the terminals reboot.
So, if you are running a winhook batch file that needs the terminals to be online you are not going to be succeed. You can put a wait command in the batch file that allows the terminals time to come up however... Works like a charm.
I just bypass that and use sync software to backup to a terminal HD as well as a slave HD on the FS to have duplicate backups on a timed basis without messing with winhook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back