Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Term endlessly restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradigm1234

Technical User
Jul 24, 2012
US
Hello All, any help would be greatly appreciated: Aloha version 6.1.9
All three FOH terms were woking fine until power supply went out out term 2. I replaced the power supply the next day. Upon starting term 2, windows loads and then aloha loads. "determining master terminal" shows and counts to about 30 and then the computer restarts. I can't seem to stop aloha from loading....I have a very short time to do anything before the computer restarts. I've gone to task manager and ended "iber" and gone to start up menu and deleted "iber." Computer still restarts endlessly. I figure the "data" file on term 2 is corrupt, and I think I could copy from term 1 or 3, but I don't have time to do anything before it restarts.....(I can't even determine if it is still on the network, but the light on the network adapter is blinking)
1. How do I stop aloha from running and restarting the computer?
2. Could this be a windows (or hardware) problem and not aloha? (running windows 2000 professional on terms)
Thanks for any help at all,
Scott

It sounds like data is corrupt or missing The ini . You can copy it from
Another terminal or the server. Select Ctl alt del and task manager select iber and end task. Post a copy of the latest devout on the forum Just the last 30 lines or so.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Sounds to me like you have an "exiting" file stuck on one of the terminals (Aloha>TMP) . Start by totally shutting down a single terminal on the network. If the EXITING file is on the terminal that you have powered off than the other terminals will come up and load Aloha and float your logo. If the first terminal you totally power down doesn't do the trick, try the same process by powering down the terminals individually while all the other terminals are powered on, until the rest of the system comes up. You may have some more work to do on deleting that EXITING file but the rest of the system will be up in the meantime.

Shoot from the hip.

-TA

I can't copy any files as the computer restarts before I can do anything. I tried shutting down and restarting one at a time. Term 1 and 3 work fine, but term 2 endlessly restarts. I have ended Iber in task manager and start-up menu. Aloha does not start on that computer, but the computer still restarts. I believe now I have an operating system corruption. My next step is to run the windows CD and try to repair windows (if thats the problem.) I will let you know what happens. Thanks a lot for the help!
Scott

Try to turn off all terms and restart this term first. See it if comes up at all. This will ell you where to start with the trouble shooting.

Sounds like a Windows issue, probably corrupt if it's restarting even without Aloha running. Perhaps try booting into Safe Mode first? Could be bothered by the new power supply too, similar to what happens when you install wrong RAM. No idea how to fix it if that's the case, hopefully it's just a software thing.

This might be a long shot but if before the terminal launches "Iber.exe" is there by chance a Black Command Box that appears for a very short period of time? If so you can continuously try to hit the "X" in the upper right corner. If you do that the system wont try to load "Iber.exe". I know a few customers who have that as part of their startup & thats the workaround that works for me. Hope this helps.

Take care =)

connect a keyboard to the terminal and right when it gets to the screen where it says loading personal settings, hold the shift key down and it should load to your desktop without loading aloha.

This will allow you to copy over the missing data files.

Knectech

i've had this problem at work as well and i've fixed it by closing the aloha software on the server computer, turning off the 2 terminal computers (in your case 3) then starting the aloha software on the server, logging in, and "refreshing data". Then, when the aloha software says ready in the lower right corner, i'll turn on both terminal computers and both terminals work fine.. that is until some employee shuts down one of the computers by accident.

hope this helps

Forget about trying to hit a quickly moving target: make the target stop. Boot it up with the network cable unplugged. It'll take a while longer to determine (actually elect itself as) the master terminal, since one can't be found. Then it'll take a minute to determine the fileserver, which will fail to the "cannot locate fileserver" screen. If you can't stop Iber while all that is happening, you're doing it wrong.

Once you get it to the desktop, plug the network cable back in and copy the data folder from another terminal or the fileserver, then reboot. If that doesn't fix it, do the unplug-bootup thing again to get to the desktop and let us know.

Side note: the EXITING file doesn't make terminals do anything, Iber(qs) creates the file when it's shutting down to let the rest of the terminals know about it. There's an EXITING file in the TMP folder every time it closes normally, like EOD, and it gets deleted when it launches again. You may be thinking of the STOP file, which will make all terminals except the current master boot loop. The master will stay at the black Aloha screen with "waiting for permission to resume" in the lower left corner. Delete the STOP file from the fileserver's TMP folder or hit utilities\start front of house in Aloha Manager to fire them back up.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back