Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Remote Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexander00pr

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
PR
Does anybody know a software that can backup the aloha dated folder YYYYMMDD that had all sales data remotely? We had 10 restaurant and would like to storage the backups in a central location.

Radiant can do that for you. We are currently signed up for that program. All your dated directories are backed up remotely on Radiant servers, and Radiant will back up those directories on DVD at year end to send to you.

I do not remember the cost off hand, and i am not sure if you need to be an Enterprise customer to be eligible for this service. Your best bet would be to contact Radiant for these details.

I know that Radiant can backup the data. We had aloha enterprise but the cost dont worth it. Is $130 monthly and we had a data center in our central office.

You can use Pcanywhere command ques and send them to a central server.
There are also internet solutions that will host your backups. Do a search for those.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

We also had a batch file that would back up each day of business to front of house terminals (you could back it up to as many terminals as you wanted to). It would also back up via FTP if you wanted.

I agree, I really can't see that price being worth it. There are multiple hardware solutions at your disposal that are reasonably reliable back ups-across the network to terminals, to external local storage devices like a USB hard drive, to mirroring drives, etc.

Not to mention, total disaster/hard drive failure is pretty rare-I've probably seen it less than 3 times in my career, where a hard drive was so jacked that you couldn't get most of the data back.

If it was a big chain that was paying the money to have it done, that would be one thing. But for individual restaurants, etc, a hardware solution will cover most of your bases, IMO.

alohaakamai3 do you have the batch file or sell it?

I would be happy to give it out to whoever wanted it, but we need to find a way to exchange it. I've posted my email address on here and have had my account deleted.

But if you think of a way I can get it to you, I don't have a problem giving it to you.

Can you post the link to the file on RapidShare?

Well, here is a zero cost solution!

Two pieces of software:
Hamachi; Karen's Replicator;
Install the Hamachi client on the restaurant servers and on the central server. Join the same network that you create. They are all on a VPN.... like a virtual lan.

Use the second software to schedule your backups to the remote location on your vpn.

Party On!
PiCaRd359

I'm Getting ready to setup backup and will probably use Cobain Backup as I have used this with other businesses and had great success.

It does timed backups and works with networks shares as well as ftp. The best feature is it emails the log after it runs so you KNOW it worked. I have seen auto systems fail when not checked. Found out the hard way.

Let you know what I find out.

Ok ,
Here is the update.

Cobain works great but...There are some tricks....

DO NOT try to backup all data at once unless you are closed for a day. Theres a lot of date there.
You might want to move older data out of aloha folder before you start this. (See below - move data)

Use the "Incremental" backup type
Include subdirectories
Use file attributes logic
Uncheck "Clear archive attribute"
Uncheck "Create separated backups using time stamps"

I put in a "Mask" under special to "Include" to "*\2008*\*.*" and "*\NEWDATA\*.*"
So only this years data is checked for new files

I Excluded "*\BIN|*.*" because the files could be in use.

For the FTP, I ended up limiting the software to one port "Max port = 1" without passive as we use NAT routers on both sides and Windows 2003 as FTP host.
I set up each location as a separate user (windows limits connections so same user can not login at same time) and in the back software, each has a separate fold on ftp server.

Have Cobain email you the log to verify files sent correctly.

It's working great and the data is accessible on the backup server for each location now using trick found here.

(move data)

This could also be used in reverse to send "NEWDATA" back to the locations because the software can use FTP as the source data instead of the destination.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back