Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha POS Terminals "Waiting for System Config to Complete"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
US
Tried rebooting everything...terminals still coming up with "Waiting on System Configuration to Complete".

Shut down the entire system, main POS, and 4 terminals. started POS, logged onto Aloha Manager. Walked to main terminal, booted up. went through its boot process...last thing I saw was "File Server 0" than straight to "Waiting for System Configuration to Complete"

any love???

update...shut everything down and unplugged/replugged some wires in. fired everything up...same problem. except terminal 2 now says

"system step waiting for permission".

I'm guessing that has nothing to do with the real problem based on the fact its terminal two and not the master terminal or file server

You may have had a permission on the BOH expire so the terminals are not able to see the BOH anymore via the network. Go under your user accounts and make sure your password hasn't expired. If not, try creating a new one. I'm sorry I don't have a ton of details on how to do this, it just sounds like a problem I had about 5 years ago so I'm going off my memory on this one.

Good luck to you!

Kalei

any help is better than no help my friend...im going to look into it, thanks

You need to create an OK file in the %IBERDIR%\DATA directory.

** If one already exists, then you may have a networking issue.

An easy way to create the file would be to go to a command prompt and type the following commands:

cd /d %IBERDIR%\data [PRESS ENTER]
ver >ok. [PRESS ENTER]

And that should do it.

---
MegabyteCoffee.com

its not looking like thats the issue. its only 7 months old anyway so I doubt any permissions have expired by then. im struggling to completely find where to look for it though.

also, in case anyone wonders. we are running a windows XP, aloha version 6.1.18

mega,

If I right click on start, go to explore, where would the OK directory be located....assuming I already have one?

If it is missing, would I have possibly lost any vital info? also, if i accidentally rewrote the current OK directory by using your create method, would I possibly lose any vital information? Basically, im just trying to look ahead at any potential consequences to creating this.

greatly appreciate everyones help

It's not a directory, it's a file that needs to exist in the %IBERDIR%\DATA directory.

Go to START then click on RUN and type CMD [PRESS ENTER].
When the black command prompt window appears (DOS BOX as alot of people call it), type the commands I listed previously. The terminals will probably come right back up.

You will not have lost any data at all. The OK file is just a flag file that probably got missed getting deleted for some reason. It happens once in a while.

---
MegabyteCoffee.com

alright, here is your command. i havent done this in a while but are cd/d, wouldnt that be going to the D drive? or am I completely confusing that with something else? I believe this should be in the C: drive.

cd /d %IBERDIR%\data [PRESS ENTER]
ver >ok. [PRESS ENTER]

Just type it exactly as I stated. the CD /D options means to change directory even drive letter if needed to get to the proper destination directory. -It's a little know syntax that can be a big time saver.

---
MegabyteCoffee.com

i got you now...having a spacey brain right now, its been a while since I used dos commands. I forwarded the info to the guy at the system right now. im going to talk him through it on the phone and lets cross our fingers. either way, i appreciate the help

well it wasnt the OK file. A friend of one of the managers actually came over and said the system config files needed to be copied over to terminals 2-4...he got it up and running in a little bit. supposedly, the config files for terminal 1 were fine. how? I dont know. It doesnt make sense to me that terminal 1 was saying the same thing as the other 3 terminals if terminal 1 had the correct config files. I must be missing something cause it doesnt logically make sense to me at the moment.

either way, im very appreciative of the help on here. I'll be buying a new restaurant shortly and im sure i'll be back for more help, haha

Well then, there was more going on with your POS system before you wrote your first post then. The IBERCFG files just don't become wrong on their own for no reason.

---
MegabyteCoffee.com

well today we have a new problem. terminals 2-4 say "waiting for end of day"

main terminal is up and running...file server is up and running, no issues.

my limited knowledge says a grinding issue but no idea. all i know is its a good sign that terminal 1 is at least working.

anymore help from the gurus on here?

based on what im researching, it seems i need to copy some files over to fix this problem...similar to what our tech guy did last night. still up in the air on what I need to actually copy over...ive seen some incomplete answers on this.

Hi you need to delete the eod marker file (no extension)in data and make sure your date of business is correct in aloha.ini in data and newdata

I think your tech guy is the problem. Your issue last night was caused by someone originally playing around with the terminal settings to start with.

What is the real issues being attempted to resolve?

---
MegabyteCoffee.com

well we finally did what matrix said and it worked. we are fully up and running again today. tomorrow though is another day, let us see what happens i guess

the initial issue was a constant file server screen freeze when grinding sales reports. than he progressed to the problem stated originally on here. than today was the other problem. lets not hope for a 4th.

hopefully im back with only good news tomorrow. thanks again to everyone on here.

Both of the issues in this thread may be related to network issues. There may be permissions on the server and terminals that are getting in the way of standard file handling for Aloha.

For example, your EOD marker file was probably left because when the system tried to delete it, it wasn't able to do so.

Your configuration files that didn't get copied may not have been copied because they weren't allowed to do so.

Make sure that create, delete, read, write permissions are open across the network from server to terminals and back, and between terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back