Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha POS cloned server configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred_ParadiseComputer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2023
US
We have a client with an older NCR machine hosting Aloha POS, he runs his restaurant on it. The machine is old and slow and is still running Win 7, Aloha is after him to purchase a new server. He intends to do that, but is currently facing some daunting and expensive health challenges so we need to buy him a few months to save up for it. For an experiment/possible temporary solution I cloned the hard-drive to an SSD and put it in a much newer refurb we had. It boots fine, and the file structure is identical as it's a one to one copy of the original drive. Because the NICs were different I had to assign the IPs myself, matching the scheme on the working server. Once I set the IPs to static I noticed there was no communication, and control panel>Network & Sharing showed no traffic on the interfaces, despite matching the IPs. When I hit "apply" I was warned that the IPs were in use on another interface, which is odd, because they don't exist on the new machine and are not listed in device manager. Do I need to clone the Mac address' of the original interfaces? I also noticed that the names of the networks weren't preserved on the new hardware, with one now called "Ethernet" and the other called "Network 2" instead of "Aloha Network" and "EDC". Do any of you know what steps might complete this cloned server operation to get it up and running as a temporary solution? I feel that I'm very close, the cloned machine has the driver for the HASP key and when I clicked on the Aloha management GUI a window popped up asking for me to specify which NIC the server uses, I picked one and was greeted with a configuration page for the system, I could see Wait1, Wait2, and Bar in the configuration window, which are the terminals. I closed the window without changing anything there, as I'm not a regular Aloha user. I called NCR help desk, and of course they are more interested in selling a new server than helping me across the finish line. They tentatively agreed to help with this temporary solution, but insist that they'll have to send a tech in person, which I find odd, since it is probably something that could be done over teamviewer or an equivalent. They haven't sent me the email with the estimated cost of the in person tech yet, so I'd like to forge on and get this thing working, saving our customer the cost of the in person Aloha tech perhaps. Any suggestions would be appreciated, we might also compensate an Aloha expert to help us, if one were to offer assistance.
Thanks for reading!
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back