Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aloha 6.5 rebuild ctlsvr won't register!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm52

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2005
US
Doing a rebuild of a 6.5 Aloha system... Install CD works just fine. But, CTLSVR keeps dying.

Unregistered CTLSVR and checked SEC1-6 AHA! SEC6 is blank! (but I did enter it during install). Hand entered it into aloha.ini and attempted to register CTLSVR ... No Go, won't register, doesn't show up in Services. And, of course, no error messages in Event viewer or aloha debouts.

Anyone see this before?

Ended up rebuilding / reinstalling the fileserver for a second time.. and it all comes up.

Except the terminals. All can't find fileserver, sigh.

All networking info is identical to the previous version. LANA is set to 0, I can network neighborhood and UAC path back and forth between all systems. TermInst runs and copies from the server just fine. But, when I reboot... "Looking for Fileserver" on every terminal.

Makes me think it's the BOH... but, it's XP, shares look good, permissions look good, environment variables look good, ctlsvr is running fine. No errors log either.

And, before the reload... everything worked just fine. ideas?

I have seen this before, in 6.4 versions. Put into redundancy, then do a recovery - systems come up. At least they did for me...

Good luck!

Bob T

I may give that a try this afternoon when there's a lul before happy hour. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to hit it again tonight after close.

I did end up putting the FOH into redundancy so they could get thru the day before I can take the FOH back over safely.

Make sure your firewall and/or antivirus isn't blocking the Aloha Ports. Also, check your folder/drive permissions.

Yup, did it all....

Complex networking
Hard coded IP addresses
No firewalls
Same user/pass on all pos and server running same user for ctlsvr and edcsvr
Double checked and tested the network, etc. Can log on as pos user from any station/server and copy to/from every other system.

FOH and BOH still won't talk to each other. EDCSVR does though! Very strange. I'm just short of bringing in a whole new server just to isolate things. And before the upgrade? Totally worked.

Bad cable? Can you swap out machines (or cables) and check.

Swapped out the cable, and the master switch (they all tested good anyway). And EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS COMPLETELY! I even did duration tests for stateful connections (passed them all, on all systems).

It's just flat out odd.

Guess I'm out of ideas. You seem to have covered the bases. Sorry I couldn't help. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back