Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha 15.1 gotchas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RokStar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2006
US
Hi guys and gals,
Resellers and NCR are pushing every 'new' install to 15.1 for compliance issues, which is dubious, but probably required soon anyhow...

Has anyone installed 15.1 in production yet? I hear that it's 'very' different in terms of support, COM, installs, etc but what should we be looking out for?

How different is it?

thx - R

My understanding is that 12.3 (I do not know about 14.1) is only certified for existing deployments and 15.1 is the only certified version for new deployments.

15.1 is still in the teens on point releases but overall, it’s stable. The biggest difference is the dependencies it has on RAL. RAL manages all terminal windows accounts and limits local administrative access on the terminals. There’s been bugs but they seem to get fixed quickly. Refreshes are much longer compared to 12.3 and certain NCR products are not compatible yet (like Aloha Mobile) Also, Connected Payments was not 15.1 certified as of a few months ago. That may have changed.

The positive feedback from staff helped offset the growing pains I had while implementing it.

Features I like:
-Live refresh, You can update Sub Menus, Mod Groups, Events and non major changes without having to refresh the system.
-Adjust Tip screen is more user-friendly as you can now sort by column filters.
-They introduced dashboards that allow for you to put KPIs on the FOH
-You can now comp a revenue item.
-Identical tables are allowed which is helpful when busy.

I just did a clean install of 15.1 TS in my lab using a dell server, one Radiant P1515 and 1 non Radiant/NCR terminal running RAL. 15.1 requires RAL. You can install without it, but the FOH will permanently show an error message about the configuration of the system being incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back