Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Almost dead computer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockend

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
CA
Hi,
Yesterday, I had a user working at their workstation. He said that he was working away when all of a sudden the screen went black (monitor still had power but was in standby), then the processor fan sped way up. I'm not sure what has happened here. I started it up and can hear the had drive spin up too. I watched the keyboard and optical mouse but neither light up. There is also no POST beep, but some of the machines here don't always beep anyway. So, I reseated the video card, and the memory, just to see if that would help, but no. I tried to take off the processor. It is a genuine IBM (NetVista) and all I could see were two clasps on the side of the heatsink that were screwed down. I unscrewed those but they wouldn't completely come off. So I tugged on the HSF and it wouldn't budge. I'm not going to force it, so I stopped. I'm not sure what this problem is or how to get the processor out, so if anyone as a solution to either or both problems I would be very pleased.
Thanks

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

Is there an onboard temperature monitor (so you could check the cpu temperature, if you could get it to boot again) - does sound a bit ominous if the heat sink is welded to the processor! What sort of socket is processor in (eg, can you remove the processor with heatsink still attached)?

I don't believe there is an onboard temp reading. I can't say for 100% sureness because I can't get anything to show up. And I can't get the heatsink off, if it is attached to the processor, the heatsink is way bigger and is covering any sort of processor release. Would I be out of line saying that it is probably a fried processor? Because I believe the fan is temp controlled (and it seems to be running at high speed). I've been in the BIOS on these types of machines before, but since I regularly don't go in, nor do I have a reason to, I don't know if there are controllable settings for fan speeds.

Since we manage to keep records of each workstation, I can tell you that it is a P4 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB RAM. I'm not all up on Intel's nor IBM so I don't know what type of socket that would be.

If you need any more information I can try to get what you need if it will help.

-Dale

Some companies use a type of gel that is almost like using super glue. If you take the board out and look at it side ways you should be able to see the latch. A paper clip with as small bend on it will hook the latch. and let it release and then maybe you can wiggle it out.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

It is a 6792-2DU IBM NetVista. I am not up to taking the board out, yet. Simply because I do not know if this machine is still covered under warranty for us. My boss has this information and I won't speak with her again until Tuesday. If it is covered under warranty I can simply have a tech come out and replace the parts himself.

-Dale

Im almost certain you are out of warranty. I have a netvista with a P4 2.4 and its out of warranty, course i know it all depends on what warranty you got with the machine, but unless you got a 5 yr warranty then i dont think you are within warranty period. I think you can double check that right at IBM website or just email them and they will tell you.
They do have big honking heatsinks and i have a couple of them. You should be able to get the heatsink off even if you have to twist it a bit. I dont think you can use the paperclip method on these as the heatsink is likely just too big. When i get home i will have a better look at one.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Also, you will have a better chance of getting the heatsink off if the mobo is out of the case. So i guess you want to check on the warranty first. Dont take my word on the warranty as it goes case by case.

Here's the update. It was out of warranty, but only by about 20 days :( We managed to find another machine that was an exact match. And it wasn't in use. I swapped out the PSU and it worked perfectly! Still, I find it strange that the fans run but the rest wouldn't. Anyways, it works now, thanks people!

-Dale

Glad you got it worked out.
There is a good reason for that, though. Power supplies supply different lines at different voltages. Sometimes certain lines go bad and others are still good. In other words, the power supply is only partly broken and partly working.
that is why i usually suggest a person get a multimeter, digital, and test their power supply. I didnt here because we were talking about getting the cpu out, lol.

lockend

Still, I find it strange that the fans run but the rest wouldn't.

If you can think of a power supply as producing several differant supply voltages (rails) one supply rail can fail leaving others untouched.
This gives the appearance of a fully functioning PSU but the reality of one missing rail is a dead system.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back