Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allstream PRI with BCM 400 Rls 3.6 -CLID Issues-

Status
Not open for further replies.

markelbcm

Technical User
Dec 8, 2006
CA
I have a BCM 400 Release 3.6 with 1 PRI Module and PRI service from Allstream for a full DS1 (23B+D).

(yes, I know, Allstream AND 3.6.. but it's what I have to work with :)

Soo.. The PRI is configured on BUS 7 with the following T1 Parameters:

CO fail: TIA-547A
Interface: ISDN
Framing: ESF
Int. CSU: ON
CSU line build: 0db
Line Codeing: B8ZS

All my DID's work great, everyting is humming along..

THE PROBLEM:

I only ever get to see the number of the caller, not the name. Allstream says they're sending name & number.

I've gone through no less then 5 tickets with Allstream and they swear they are sending the name and say it's a CPE issue, go away.

On ALL the target list I've assidned to DN's I have ensured that the Caller ID set [Y] has been set.

What the heck am I missing here? I've not has this problem with Bell / Telus, with same Nortel hardware, in past jobs.

Even when I look at the call setup/tear down on BCM monitor I only ever see recvDigits and calling party - never a name.. (not sure if (BCM Monitor) it even displays names)??

I've also (thinking hardware) swapped out the module with another from one of out other offices (Bell's the SP - Name's working) and tested with the same results..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Feature ** RLS: The feature code to fix annoying phone calls :)

Protocol? Your BCM needs to match Allstream. NI1 or NI2?

It's currently NI and Allstream is NI(1) as well.

Options are: NI, DMS100, DMS250, 4ESS, SL-1

Feature ** RLS: The feature code to fix annoying phone calls :)

I think NI1 is the same as dms100 which means there's a mismatch between the bcm and allstream. Both sides need to match.

What is "first display" set to in configuration? If you press the "info" key while the number is being displayed for an incoming call, does the name display?

The name should be showing up in the bcm monitor. Can allstream change their protocol to NI-2? I might be wrong but I thought 1 of the differences between ni1 and 2 was caller id name support.

Don't know if you have this resolved yet but my 2 cents worth is that Dasheen is correct. NI in the BCM means NI-2. If Allstream is set for NI-1, your BCM must be set to DMS100. Never tried DMS250 but I would assume its also NI-1, just a different CO switch. You should definitely see the names coming in along with the DNIS numbers. If you don't after you change your protocol, call Allstream back and insist on speaking with a supervisor or manager and tell them you want someone on site with a PRI tester to prove that the names are being delivered. On two occasions (with Allstream) I had a similar issue where they insisted that the CLID was being sent but there was no way it was being received. I had my own test set and could easilly prove that if the ID was being sent, the call would route correctly. It wasn't until I insisted on speaking to someone else that the issue was resolved.

Here's a hint. Ask them if they are using virtual groups on your circuit. They are used by the carrier to limit the number of simultaneous inbound calls so there will always be a certain number of channels available for outgoing calls. In my case, they had one virtual group forwarding to another one and somehow that configuration was dropping the CLID info. So from the testers perspective, he was sending the info but in the end, it never reached my PRI.

If they give you a hard time, post back here and I'll get you in touch with someone over there who can help.

I don't think you'll see the caller name with NI-1,only caller ID will come up.Leave your Bcm to NI(which is NI-2 on a bcm 3.6) and ask your Telco to set the PRI to NI-2.

Actually, here is something right out of the manual. Not sure what the difference is between Name Display and Connected Name is but one is not supported on NI-2

Network name display.

Business Communications Manager displays the name of the calling party, when available, on
both Private or Public ISDN PRI interfaces. The displayed name can include the Receiving Calling
Name, Receiving Redirected Name, and/or Receiving Connected Name. Refer to “Receiving and
sending calling party name” on page 458.

If only a number is available for CLI on an incoming call, you can program a system speed dial in
such a way that a name displays when that number calls in. Refer to “Using alpha tagging for name
display” on page 459.

The outgoing name display consists of the Business name and the telephone name. Refer to
“Programming Business name display” on page 459.

Table 95 Call features/interface list

Feature NI-2-2 DMS SL1
PRI Custom PRI (MCDN)
Receiving Connected Name Supported Supported
Sending Calling Party Name Supported Supported Supported
Sending Connected Name Supported Supported

There are other columns in this table for NI-2 BRI and ETSI Euro (PRI/BRI)but none of thefeatures are supported in the NA market. There is also a column for ETSI QSIG which supports all but is not relevant in this setup so NI-2 is justg not going to cut it for you. You must set yours to DMS100 to do anything with the names.

Receiving and sending calling party name

Network Name Display allows the name of an incoming PRI/BRI, analog with CLID, or VoIP
with MCDN call to appear on the Business Communications Manager telephone receiving the call.
Calling Party Name with status of Private can appear on the Called Party telephone as Private
name. If the incoming Calling Name is defined by the CO as a private name, then Private name
appears on the answering telephone. If the Calling Party Name is unavailable it can appear on the
Called Party telephone as Unknown name.
If the call is answered by a Hunt group, the hunt group name appears instead of the telephone
name in forming the connected name.
The Connected Name is a transient display that appears for approximately three seconds. The
Connected Name is sent only if the OLI is programmed (“Configuring line access” on page 401).
You can program both a public and private OLI. The system uses the one appropriate to the type of
call.

A bit confusing, but I have always used NI-1 (or DMS100 on the BCM) and have never had any problem with displaying received names. With NI-2 on the other hand........lots of weird stuff needs to be programmed.

My money is on DMS100.

Let us know what fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back