Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing users to use Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwood

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
Unlike the previous question, how do I allow users to run Messenger?

Nobody, but the Admin, is able to use the service. I have given permissions to individual users as well as the Everyone account. Still no luck. Any other suggestions?

We probably need more info. Otherwise, you're in the "I installed and tried everything but it doesn't work. Help." catagory.

Are you talking about MSN Messenger, the popular instant messaging buddy tracker program? Or do you mean the messenger service in the event manager, which allows pop-up messages to be sent between Windows PCs on a LAN? (I will assume you mean MSN messenger for now...)

What's the workstation OS? 95, 2000... When you attempt to install Messenger as the user who will be using it, what errors do you get? Is this a corporate environment where there may be group policies in place?

"Giving permissions" usually means 2 things when talking about making applications run. File permissions (granted with explorer) and Registry Permissions (granted with regedit). MSN Messenger is a pretty clean app in this reguard. You install it as a "Power User" or "Administrator", and then "Users" can run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back