Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing users to select multiple items for use in query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdav2

Programmer
Aug 22, 2000
GB
[tt]
Database background:
====================
The database is currently split into the data as one database and the forms, queries and reports in another

database. Both databases sit on a file server and are used by multiple users.

Problem:
========
I want to create a form that allows users to select multiple items a list the results of which can then be

used in a standard access query (rather than a recordset). I have seen many examples of this on the

internet all of which are great if the database is only single user. These wouldn't work when applying them

to a multi user environment.

My current/proposed solution:
=============================
I have created a form that lists all sites in a listbox and allows them to add their selected values into a

second listbox (see my horrible ascii design below). The usual add, add all, remove, remove all buttons

allow them to add and removed from the selected list.

ALL SELECTED
_______ _______
|Site1 | ADD |Site3 |
|Site2 | ADD ALL | |
|Site4 | REMOVE | |
|_______| REMOVE ALL |_______|

Once the user has selected the sites they want they hit a button that will create run a standard access

query using the selected values in its where clause (hopefully via an IN command).

My first though was to loop through the selection and add them into a textbox and then use that (adding the

OR's in between). That idea works but your limited on the number of characters so its only good if using

ID's not descriptions. I couldn't get an IN to work in the WHERE clause so have pretty much abandoned this

as an idea (I have posted a help for this in the same forum).

My second though was based upon the original ideas that I have seen for this on the internet. I create a

third database which will be created on the users own PC. This will contain tables that are populated with

the users report selections. When the user creates their selection a three stage process will occur:

1) The local database table that applies to the query has all the data deleted
2) The local database is then updated using recordset inserts
3) The data in the local table can then be used through a link

My Question
===========
This all seems like a lot of extra work to do something that is very simple in most other database languages

and front end tools. For example, this would be very easy to do in visual foxpro. Does anyone know of an

easy way to achieve this in Access that I have missed?

Many thanks,
[/tt]

Mark Davies
Warwickshire County Council

faq702-6326
Shows a method to make the above control. The class module encapsulates all the functionality so it is very easy to build.

There are plenty of FAQs describing techniques on using a multiselect listbox as a means for a query. This is basically the same except you use all items in the listbox.

Just loop the items in the listbox and build a Sql string. No need to use a textbox. And are you really going beyond 65,000 characters in your sql string or 255 OR conditions? If not, I really doubt you are hitting any limit. And building a list of values using IN ("Site1", "Sit2" .. "SiteX") should also be no problem. Where is your code so far?

Now you would have to explain to me why the Front End database resides on the server. It should belong on each users local machine. That is really inefficient for access, and if you are running it that way there is no difference than just everyone sharing the same database. Might as well not even split the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back