Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allowing some users to install software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfiller

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
I want to allow the teachers in my school to install their own software. They are in a separate container with a separate policy in Active Directory (Windows 2000 Server) and are all members of the group 'teachers'. Our new workstations are Windows XP Pro.

Currently, when they try to install software, they get an error message saying something like
"unable to create registry set"
or
"you must be a member of the group Administrators to run this setup" (it varies with the package they are trying to install)

I obviously don't want to give them the W2K Administrator password. I tried setting up one teacher as an adminstrator of his local machine, but he was still unable to install software. Even if this worked, it would be really cumbersome to visit 100 new machines and set up a local administrator!

What policy(s) do I need to set in order to allow the teachers to install software on Windows XP Pro workstations? JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

I had the same problem and still have not got it resolve. What I had to do is to go to each workstation and gave the clients all local administrator rights. What a pain in the ...

[pipe]
Trimelater

I think what I will do is to add the domain group teachers to the local Administrators group on each local machine. I tried it and it works.

Then I don't have to worry about passwords or who is able to get in and who not. JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back