Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing only approved web sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2003
US
I am trying to set a GPO on a computer to block all pages I add only the site that I want availabe and this site is availabel The policy will block some sites but not all I can still access Microsoft, MSN and others I cannot access hotmail or yahoo but I have been able to access various while some ask for a password How can I block all sites except for the ones I have approved

the gpo is not a good place to block sites. if you need site filltering it is better to have an internet router with filtering built in.

or use isa server on a windows machine, but i like hardware firewalls

Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Actually, it's a little easier... and harder... you need to build a DNS server and only add sites to that that you want users to access...

Something about root hints... haven't done this lately...

Alternately, you send out a policy document that states which internet sites are allowed, that you will be tracking users, and what the penalties will be for violations...

Pass it through HR and Legal before sending it out... IANAL but I know better than work without them...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

I have a Pix 506 firewall is there any documentation on how to set this up on this device

How about using IE's Content Advisor? I have setup a similar case for one of our business groups which requires users to access only 3 sites (intranet at that!).

S.Manaois.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back