Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allowbypasskey 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreveryoung

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
GB
Just a little question please when i look for allowbypasskey in the help I get a message that says the following:

Hidden Language Element
You have requested Help for a language element that is hidden, and therefore unavailable for programmatic access.

Do you know why this is?

In 2000 and 2002 you have to have programming help loaded else you can't get help for programming issues. AllowBypassKey can onlt be manipulated via vba.

AllowBypass is a database property which must be created in VBA as it is NOT a default property. toddgb is absolutely correct. You do also need to be in the code view to get programming help. There is a code snippet which could be used to create or update the property. You do however need to be careful if you use this property. For instance, should the splash screen become corrupted and cause and IFP then you could not keep from getting an IFP every time you opened the database. There are ways to resolve even that; but that's another story.
----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

There is a file on my website called Lock&Unlock.mdb that will set and unset the AllowBypass property of any database you want.

HTH

Ben ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
----------------------------------------

Ben, you just saved my life! (Well, at least several hours of redesigning.)

I just ingored the NUMBER ONE rule of database development and didn't BACKUP by database for several hours. Of course, during those several hours I had coded my AllowByPass functionality. And, of course, I missed a step and locked myself out. [blush]

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the lock/unlock utility. Wish I could send you a million stars 'cause you certainly deserve it. Ann

I've found it necessary to create the ability to remotely set and unset the property myself. If the 'Splash' or switchboard forms become corrupted you would be locked out unless you, as the developer, retained the ability to remotely set and unset the allowbypass key. These forms sometimes become corrupted during the process of removing the database from the CM tool and building a version. Glad oharab recognized this possibility.

Steve -------------------------------------
scking@arinc.com
Try to resolve problems independently
Then seek help among peers or experts
But TEST recommended solutions
-------------------------------------

It's nice to know I'm still appreciated, even tho' I'm not in the forums much these days (life sucks when you're busy!).
I wrote the file to work externally as I didn't want inquisitive little fingers finding my special control sequence.
If they have enough skill to write their own unlock file, then they'll get past the other security checks if they want too!

Anyway, back to the millstone! Another day, another database!

B ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara

Ben,

My reason for developing it was quite different and more like foreveryoung. Out CM tool consistently corrupted the splash file and I couldn't get in unless we had this capability. Good to see your name showing up again.

Steve
scking@arinc.com
Try to resolve problems independently
Then seek help among peers or experts
But TEST recommended solutions

I'd like to say I'll be around a lot more, but since my dept. found out how useful Access was and how much more could be done with our intranet & how access & the intranet can work together and how I am the only person who knows about access or html or asp or vbscript, then my workload has kinda gone through the roof!

B ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back