Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allow users local printer install via GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

volk125

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
CA
I need to find a way to allow users to install local printers on their laptops. but the option is greyed out. I used GPO to allow them device driver install but that still doesn't help. Is there any way to allow users to install local printer without giving them power user rights on their machines?

Do you need the users to install drivers?

If not then the printer should be automatically available as long it is plug and prey!

There is a policy in UserConfig\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers

about prevention of installing printers.

Does this help at all??

UserConfig\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers does not help. It's there to prevent but not explicitly allow.

I am already allowing their group to install device drivers also. But still the option to install a local printer is greyed out. Just adding a network printer is available.

Some people say it's not possible wihout giving the user at least Power User rights locally on their machines.

Do they have permission to install software and devices in general. The install driver allowance, only allows them to install drivers, but doesn't allow them to install devices.

By default, normal users don't have the permissions to install devices. To install devices the user needs to be an admin or power user, but I will have a look see if I can circumvent this with some group policy hacks.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

You could use restricted groups to give users that need it temp elevated privs. Or create a AD group for installing printers, elevate that group to power user, and when a user needs to install a printer, you can add them to that group for a short time, for them to install, then remove them.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back