Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow user to update from the form BUT not table

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekila

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
SG
I've a data entry form that is bound to a table. When defining user rights, I only allow the user to Open/run the form, Read design, Read data and Insert data for the corresponding table. What happens if the user realizes that he has entered a wrong record but he is not allowed to amend his mistake on the form since he cannot update data.

Can I permit the user to update the form but not the table?

If I read your issue correctly, the user enters data on a form and saves the record. If they then realize that they made a mistake, they have no way to change the record because the form doesn't give them that ability. It seems to me that you will have to provide the facility to edit or delete records to correct this situation...or maybe I didn't follow what you are trying to do?

dz

It seems to me that you will have to provide the facility to edit or delete records to correct this situation.

Precisely, that's what I want but once I permit the user the right of updating/deleting records, he will have access to update/delete other records in the table, which is undesirable. So, is there a way that allows the user to edit his own records on the form but denies him access to updating the whole list of records in the table?

If you want to allow users the ability to edit only a certain subset of records, you will have to store their name or ID with each record. You can then limit the records that they can edit by displaying only "their" records with a Query, or by checking the user's name/ID against what is saved in the table for the record that they are trying to edit. If they don't own that record, you can display an error with MsgBox.

On my main switchboard, OnClick of a particular button displays the database window. I was thinking whether it is possible to deny user access to viewing the database window and at the same time grant him permissions to insert, delete and edit the data in the table, bound to the form. In this way, user can edit his own records only. Possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back