Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow standard user to run .reg file on W2kTS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garty

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
GB
We are running W2K Terminal server in quite a secure environment.

We have 2 different domains with two different servers each running MS SQL7 on them. We have a program that looks at the SQL database relevant to the domain they are logged on to. One of our users needs to be able to look at either database from one screen (ie keeping on one domain).

I have created two .REG files that changes the &quot;path&quot; of the source data from (local) to <servername>, and vice versa. This works fine when logged in as administrator.

Running the .REG files updates the registry and the same program icon is used to go to the two different databases.

However, I need to allow two users to be able to run these .REG files so that they can access either database as required.

How can I permit certain users the right to edit the registry? I cannot seem to find the permission anywhere in the Group Policy area or Local rights.

Your expert help is appreciated.

In Group Policy - User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System is a setting to disable registry editing tools. After making sure the setting is not enabled, you will need to use regedt32 to grant the users write permission to the appropriate registry keys. Kevin Mattson
MCP

Fantastic.

Thanks Kevin.

I had found the disable registry policy item but could not get my head around how I could ENABLE the user.

I was not aware of the regedt32 part.

Thanks again.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back