Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow printing from a secondary router

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieT302

Instructor
Mar 17, 2005
US
Hi All,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have two D-link wireless routers. We just attached the second to allow for wireless connections to the Internet from quest visitors (auditors, etc.). The first router connects all devices (printers, computers, scanners, etc.). The second router is only for allowing Internet access. We wanted the firewall between the two routers so that a visitor cannot access our files.

My question is: how to set up the connections so that a visitor connecting thru the 2nd router can print to a printer connected to the first router. Is this a firewall setting?

Thanks

I think you've set it up totally incorrectly from a design perspective to do what you intended. The 2nd router (guest network) is protected from your network by its firewall, but I believe your main network is accessible from the guest network. Need more information.

What port is the cable from the main router plugged into on the 2nd router? (WAN or LAN port)
What is the IP address given to a PC on your main network (192.168.1.X for example)
What is the IP address given to a PC on your guest network (192.168.2.X for example)
Is DHCP turned ON on the 2nd router?
They should be different subnets or else you will have DHCP problems and IP address conflicts.

See if you can ping one of your IP address on the main network from a computer connected to the guest network. I think you will be able to do that.

Some ideas: independent IP addresses from ISP OR VLANS to be totally separate OR purchase a newer router that supports dual SSIDs right out of the box OR use DD-WRT (though I wouldn't use that in a company)

I do this with several small networks by using the wireless router as an access point (no routing, WAN port unused) and blocking access in indiviual machine's firewalls.
Requires fixed IP addresses for the blocking which can be a pain if there are many machines.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

When you say "blocking access", you mean FROM the guest network machine TO a main network computer. It's doable for sure, it's just kind of not the professional way to do it and most companies wouldn't allow that type of setup.

On individual machines I only allow connections from the fixed IP machines that should have access. Wireless guests and anyone connecting to a wired connection would not see or have access to any of the hidden machines.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back