Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow Kernel Mode Printer driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawa63

Vendor
Jun 7, 2004
US
I want to install PDF Writer on a 2003 TS. When i try to install, the installation show no errors but printer driver doesn't show up. After researching, i found that PDF Writer is a kernel mode printer driver and group policy is disabled on 2003 to allow these drivers to install. How and where do I edit group policy on 2003 server to allow this? I went into group policy editor, administrative templates, printers but do not see the option to allow kernel mode printer driver to install. PLEASE HELP.

• To open the Group Policy Object Editor click Start, click Run and type gpedit.msc and click OK.
• Under the Computer Configuration open the Administrative Templates
• Open Printers
• Right click on the “Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers” click on Properties and select disabled.
• Exit the Group Policy Object Editor
• Install the driver
• Run the Add New Printer from the Printers and Faxes option in the Control Panel

My problem is when i go to gpedit.msc, i do not see the “Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers” in the list which appears.

If you are doing this as part of a printer migration for say 2k to 2k3 be careful.. I know that you get the message about enabling kernal-mode drivers.. if not never mind

No migration here, installing new printer driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back