Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow authenticated users to install a local printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoemp

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
BE
Hi

Some of our users are working at home with their laptops. They each have a printer at home they want to use. Since I introduced AD, they are unable to install a local printer on their computer. Can I use some kind of GPO to allow them to install their printers at home?

Thanks

Steven

Are they local administrators on their laptops? If not they would not be able to configure local printers. Have them add themselves to the local admin group, then they should be fine.

I don't want them to be in the local admins group because they install all kind of crap on their computers. Isn't it pussible to set local rights for this user to install local printers?

Hi Teknoratti. I tried adding them to the Print operators group, but this didn't work. There should be some solution without making the users local admin. Anyone?

What kind of printers are they. I have left users with no special permissions but made sure that the drivers are installed. If they were usb drivers of PnP just picked them up and installed with no probs

You could try and add them to the and Power Users group and grant them load and unload driver privileges in the Local security policy

irweazel: One of the users has printers that are connected to another computer in his domestic network. The other user has a printer that connects through UBS

Davey: Is I add them to the power users group, what other permissions do they receive? I don't want them to be able to do too much on my network.

Thank you guys for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back