Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allocated memory for all modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
AU
Hi.
Strange problem. If I look in Memory Utilization, then the above section I see that I have only 4% free! Trying to work out why this is. My processor utilization % (multiprocessor) says that both are on 0% Use?! How can this be. Its a 500 user busy 4.11 server, fully Spacked.
Looking at the multipro info section I again see 0% utilization and that processor 1 has continuous interrupt hits, whereas processor 0 hardly gets hit at all. Have replaced pro 1 with a brand new one (P3 733) still same problem.
Anyone seen anything like this at all ????
Thanks for any help.

In 4.11 the LAN support modules, CLIB modules, and Novell Web Server 2.5 are all SMP enabled. All other modules shipped with intraNetWare must still run on processor 0. GroupWise 5 is also SMP safe.

From Novell ...
"...On some servers, monitor will show processor utilization at 0% all of the time. This problem is not specific to SMP but seems to be more likely to occur on SMP server. All indications are that it is purely a cosmetic problem. A fix to the problem has not yet been implemented..."

SMP AND FILE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE:
NetWare 4.11 SMP provides no improvement for file system performance (unless the server is running a database management system with a proprietary file system interface). With the current release of NetWare SMP, all file system access must be handled by processor 0. On a server where the disk channel is operating near maximum capacity, running the server with SMP will aggravate the problem and could cause hangs or abends.

SMP AND LAN PERFORMANCE:
Improved LAN performance is one of the major advantages of multiprocessing on a NetWare server. The LAN support modules in NetWare 4.11 SMP are multiprocessing enabled and will take advantage of any additional active processors. On a server where heavy LAN traffic is causing slowness or utilization problems, SMP can provide a very noticeable performance improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back