Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Windows x64 updates failing with 0x8007102 EventID 20 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqaguy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2004
US
So, after rebuilding my system twice and getting my 7Ultimate box up and running, today I get an announcement that 19 updates are ready. Fine. I uncheck SP1 and try to update the rest of the innocent x64 updates. Bad decision. They failed, Windows would not reboot (failed to start, failed to shut down) took 20 minutes for "repair windows" to decide it could not fix my system. As expected, shutting down and just restarting was fine except the updates did not work. By process of elimination I singled out Only the x64 updates are failing. I see Event ID 20 many times. I see dozens of different messages " failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643" and 0x8007012 (pick your number, they keep showing up) and searching Microsoft yields little. (no results) So now I am reaching out to the real professionals who deal with this, as Microsoft is not forthcoming. Any suggestions will be gladly accepted.

You can try this as a first step.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

How to Use the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista (or 7)

Thanks for the starting point. At least now Windows no longer thinks it has to install updates that are going to fail.
There is a significant problem to resolve now as I'm down to 6 x64 updates that fail, Windows media player update fails, and I don't dare to even look at SP1. To see log files saying .net framework is complaining is troubling to me. I will try the boot from windows install disk and "repair" but I have a bad feeling I'm doomed to wiping my disk and starting over. As a reference, this is a new WD Raptor disk that showed no errors, new memory that has passed several Mem tests so I am going to rule that out. It's also interesting to note that VMWare workstation is wiggy now too. Maybe I should just dump the 64bit approach and go back to 32bit... never had any issues like this before!!!

Are you running with the latest Bios update, or have you tried with the Bios set to the Safe Defaults.

Are you also fully updated with Windows Updates, both Security and Optional Recommended ones, especially all the Reliability Updates for 64-bit operating systems. There were a couple of those that came out at the time of SP1 via Windows Updates, plus they are several in the past that you might have missed out on if the Windows Updates settings are not set to take the updates of that type.

The board is brand new and has the latest ASUS bios so I can rule that out. Here's the Catch-22: it's the 64-bit Reliability updates that are refusing to install. I'm down to 4.. the original 19 or so would go in one at a time. The only optional updates showing are language packs. Does anyone by chance know if it's possible to make a Windows 7 slipstream install disc like we used have for XP? That would be awesome, as most of the updates would be applied at time of OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back