Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All web browser fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucca

MIS
Dec 21, 2006
GB
Hello All , has anyone sen this problem where IE6 or IE7 or mozzila fails to load any web traffic on a XP pro machine ?
I did hear it was something to do with an A.O.L. problem.
Any ideas or fixes would be much appreciated .
Thanks in advance
MUCCA

Reasons could be several, better if you throw in a few symptoms and some things you have tried to do yourself to fix problems.

There has been mention of third party Toolbars causing strange problems lately. Things like Yahoo, Google, Windows Desktop Search etc.

For IE I often suggest this step early on in the piece.

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

If that stops your errors, you will know where the trouble is.

I. HATE. AOL.

Once their browser was installed on my old system, IE5/6 just stopped working until I reinstalled Windows.

Awful software, I'll never use them again.

is it just browsers that can't display web pages? Do your chat/messaging apps still connect ok or has all traffic stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back