Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All root logins have same login date and time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinney

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2004
US

When I finger or use last to determine the last login of a root user, they all have the same date and time. Why is this?

- Stinney

Quoting only proves you know how to cut and paste.

Why is this
Because there is a single root account.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

That would make sense for finger... but not for last. Does the last output look normal for all other users? Can you paste some of the output here?

Annihilannic.

Actually, I misspoke. I can only get login information for 1 of the root logins when I use the last command.

Is this because all of the other root logins have only been used by logging in remotely and executing the su command and not logging in on the console and I can only get the "login" times from viewing the sulog file?

- Stinney

Quoting only proves you know how to cut and paste.

That sounds likely... an su is not treated the same way as a login. It's good to see your admins are following best practices by using individual logins!

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back