Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All lights solid on 3Com Super Stack II 3300 24 Port??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2004
US

I have a 3COM SuperStack II 3300 24 port switch that works ok for a while then all of the lights on the front light up except for one port blinking which is random!

The activity on the network is halted and you have to power down the switch for a while (it's not getting that hot and the fans are working)...

Any ideas???

thanks!

Jay, MCP

Did you try to upgrade it's software? Or did you upgrade a switch in it's stack?

I'm pretty sure it's up to date... I'll check tomorrow...

It's was by itself and has now been replaced with a 16 port temporarily.

Also, looking at some other posts on here I saw were someone else had the same problem and thought it was a because of a bad wire / nic on the other end causing too many errors on a specific port, but it's random. Sometimes it's #2, sometimes #4.... etc

thanks!

What I mean, were you upgrading it when it broke... I had a problem with a 3com 3300 where I upgraded one switch, but forgot to uplug the matrix port.

No.. It was working in a clean server room for about 5 years. When I sold it and installed it with another customer, it failed out like this the next day. I changed the ports around, had the building's wires checked.

The weird thing is I brought it home and I have plugged it into my home network for a couple hours and it hasn't failed yet....

I've seen them come back from that.... Make sure it has the latest software on it... You can download it free from 3com's website.

If you unplug it for about 10 minutes, the switch will work for a while, but it's always random how long it will last online before it freezes again...

thanks

I returned the Switch to 3COM and they replaced it with what looks to be a brand new SuperStack III 3300 Switch!

Problem solved with minimal shipping expense. Their website is kinda hard to navigate through and make sure you send yours back with some kind of tracking as I needed it to prove I sent the bad unit back!

later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back