Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All installs hang immediatly or at 90% 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iron32

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Hi,
I have windows xp pro sp1, on a 900 athlon, 512 ddr, asus A7V266. Every time i go and install a piece of software or do a windows update the install will take some times 15 mins or longer to complete. This is a new and clean install of XP and I have nothing running in the background to cause conflict. I have double checked even with hijackThis to see if anything suspicious could be loading. The software has been microsoft related and 3rd party like nero, leapftp, asus utility probe. Has anybody seen this issue or have a good idea of what may be at work?

It is an USB issue.

Unplug all non-critical USB devices.
Reinstall XP.
Do the Windows Update and Software installs.

One-by-one start introducing your USB peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, etc..

You know what, you are most likely correct, I didnt even think about usb being an isuue, and I have heard of usb issues with A7v266s. Currently the only usb I am using is my microsoft mouse. Thank you for the advice and I will try this tonight.

Look to firmware drivers.
Look for newer BIOS drivers.

If you are installing XP without Service Pack 1, it can be hard. The "semi-official" recommendation is that if you can use PS/2 mouse and keyboard until you are finished the installation.

Any USB device is hanging here.

Last note: In the BIOS, disable the use of legacy USB devices. This can be a BIOS issue with USB keyboard/Mouse, but you have to sort and find PS/2 devices to use instead until the installation is finished.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back