Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All information about discovered devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicho86

Programmer
Mar 11, 2012
AR
Hello, i'm developing an application to discover every device on an Ip range. I have saw that for example "spiceworks" discover everything and gives details about printers like page counter, toner level, or with UPS like power battery. I know that you can get this information from mibs, but most devices have different mibs and so different name for page counter, etc. My question is, how does application to ask for all informacion, i mean, they have an internal list with every mib object of all printers, all mibs of UPS, and etc.
If tomorrow a new device is on sale, how could you know in your code what oid to ask?

Thanks

Correct, you have to know what the device supports.

Every device normally supports some standard mibs where you get a bunch of information(mib2 comes to mind).

Also, depending upon the device type(printer, server, switch, router, etc) AND the manufacture their will be additional mibs supported.

So, a cisco switch would support (locIfOutBitsSec), whereas most switches would not.

And an HP printer will support some printer specific mib objects that other non-printer devices would not.

If you want to get all the information a device is storing, you can do a snmpwalk on the entire device.

Hopefully, the device manufacture will let you know what mibs are supported on the their web page. cisco does a good job of this, others do not.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back