Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All-In-One Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick283

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
I am wiring a new house and am looking at some "All-In-One" cableing that has 2 CAT-5E and 2 RG-6 cables wrapped up in one pvc jacket. The purpose of course being that it should be easier to pull. This seems like a great idea and fits my exact needs.

I have noticed that each place that I've contacted to purchase this wire states that the wire is on "close-out" and they are just selling their last pieces. They had way more than I need, so not getting enough is not an issue.

I'm just wondering if I am missing something, since it looks like this is not going to be made any longer. Anyone know anything about this?

It sometimes is over kill and expensive. Example: If you have a location where you just want a wall phone. I think it is a great idea were ever you plan on putting a TV or entertainment system. Since it is a new house also look at stereo speaker locations and A/v sytem locations. Good Sites: Good Luck!!

The cables you are referring to are quite common, and come in different configurations. The hot stuff seems to be what you described with the additional two strands of multimode fiber in there. I personally have seen sales on the hybrid cables, but no real closeout issues. Perhaps one of manufacturers is going to discontinue it.

It is neat stuff, and if you wire your new home to the recommended residential wiring standards, it could be faster to install. I have added it up with several jobs, and it is more expensive than individual cable runs. The only way that I can see it being 'better' is that it is more convenient to install, which means it costs me less on a job. However, wrestling around a 3/4" snake through various walls and holes isn't always easier.

Another issue to consider is waste. I buy cable in 1000 foot rolls or boxes, so making multiple runs is easy and I usually dont end up with much waste. This stuff generally comes in 500' rolls, so if you have a large house you may have more waste (and at $1 a foot it can add up quicker).

Still another issue is termination. At the wall outlet, you better have a mud ring or open back box or it is going to be very difficult to wrestle this stuff around and get it terminated properly. At the structured wiring cabinet end, if you have a cabinet designed for this hybrid cable, it lays out pretty nice.

IMHO, I still think it faster for me to install and terminate single cables, in general. If I had long straight runs of this stuff that just dropped down the wall and ended, it might be faster. I like the product, it looks nice, makes some sense, but I personally rarely use it in the field.

If you are building YOUR home, and you lay it out how you want it, chances are you wont need 2 RG-6 cables at the wall phone in the kitchen.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back