Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all folders remain "Read Only"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagel

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
all folders remain "Read Only"...and I can't get them to hold the setting when I de-select it in Properties. I seem to remember something about Symantec or Win Fax causing something similar, but I can't seem to find any information. There was a registry edit of some kind. Any ideas?

A bit more info about your setup needed, are the folders on a shared drive or on your laocal machine?

Is it part of a network?

What level account do you have? eg Administrator, Power user.

This is an XP Pro machine with the OS on the first partition (20Gb) and storage on the second partition (40Gb). Second hard drive 40Gb. LAN has 3 machines behind a firewall/router. I really beat this machine up, testing applications for people, then uninstalling. Still, it has performed remarkably well with no trouble. Easy CD Creator 6 installed last summer and have always had problems with it freezing. I was trying to burn a data CD when it froze, I rebooted'cause that usually worked and let it finish the CD. This time it wouldn't. Upon further investigation I discovered I couldn't copy/paste folders. The files inside no problem. Got error "you don't have access...etc..." I'm Admin and Owner on everything. Checked Knowledge Basefor that error message and followed all instructions carefully, even though it seemed non-related, no change. This morning I discovered I could copy/paste again after a reboot, then was denied AGAIN out of the blue. Not to worry, have recent backups of critical data, and clean Image from 1 month ago. Can restore Primary easily, but would really like to know what caused this. Only thing similar I've seen was Winfaxpro caused machiens on lan to get same message error when accessing over the lan. But his is on this machine, on all drives on this machine. LAN machines have no problem. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back