Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All .exe files are being opened by notepad ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytony

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
GB
I had a rather large adware problem last week, i found a load of exe. files in 'c:/' these were not picked up by adware 6. On trying to delete them only 2/3 would go, the others were "in use" (probably remotely).
On trying to delete these I some how managed to associate them to be opened up by notepad. Now every .exe. file gets opened in note pad. Which file does windows use to open programs and applications. If I can re-associate them with the appropriate program I should be able to fix the problem, or at leaste run programs!

Howdy,

There should be an entry in the list of associations called 'Program'. Associate .exe's back with that.

Hope this helps

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Open regedit. Start ---> Run ---> regedit. Browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command. There you should have a string value named "(Default)" with data "%1" %*

If that value says something about notepad try changing it to what mine says.

Hope that's to some help, good luck.

A bit of a long winded post here but if you persevere with it you may find a solution.

programs open in notepad by default
thread779-752688

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back