Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all drives mapping to drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tds133

Technical User
Mar 4, 2001
AU
At initial login during day - some drives not mapped. At end of day - ALL drive letters are assigned to the one network drive. Checked shortcuts on Desktop. Any other ideas?

We'd love to help, but can you provide much more information on the problem? Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"When I go. I want to go like Grandpa, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Sorry - will try to go into more detail. A user logs on to the network and has say 5 drives connected (1 local and 4 mapped network drives) as setup by his login script.

He is utilising word, excel and access throughtout the day. At the end of the day - when he looks in explorer, all his drives (c through to z) are all assigned to drives. So we now have the 5 drives he started with still pointing to what they were.. but all the others are pointing to one network server. (so 18? duplicates).

I have checked his desktop to see if one of his shortcuts is pointing towards a mapped drive but none are. We have also searched the registry for this drive but with nothing found. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Is there any chance that, when he saves a document or spreadsheet, rather than pointing to an already mapped drive he goes to Network Neighborhood and browses for the network drive he is looking for? This could explain what you are experiencing.

I must admit, though, that I have never seen this happen before.

Wish I could be more help... :) Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"When I go. I want to go like Grandpa, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers"

I also have this same problem...workstations w/NT4 sp6a; one network drive mapped at logon. Every time user closes an Office 2000 file another drive letter is mapped. Have disconnected them, delete his local profile, all to no avail. I read elsewhere about Office Fast Find causing this type problem, but we don't have that installed. Help?!

This is just a guess, but make sure your file locations in Office2K are set to letter-mapped drives and not to a URL (i.e. \\server\share).

Please post your results, I'm definitely interested in the resolution on this one.

:cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Try using "net use * /d", I tried this and the problem didn't occur anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back