Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all computers on Network 5 apart from one machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiwatts

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
GB
I have all machines apart from one connected to a switch. The switch and the spare computer are connected to the Gateway.

All machines have fixed IPs
192.168.1.111 - 119

We also have a NAS connected to the Switch.
The new computer connected directly to the Gateway can't see the NAS.

Also all the other machines that can see the NAS have network name
Network 5

But on the new machine it is only called
Network

How can I get the new machine to be part of Network 5?

Well, there's a lot of info I'm going to have to assume and make speculation on as you don't give specifics on gateway model and O.S. on machines.

So a couple of things you need to look at and answer.
Can you ping from the "spare" computer to the others that are directly connected to the switch?
If yes, then change the name of the workgroup to Network 5 on the spare. If you are on a Active Directory domain, then you need to join that computer to the domain network.
If no, then chances are your gateway/router port that you have that spare plugged into is on a different security/zone than you LAN port you have the switch plugged into. Again, don't know the model of gateway/router to offer you more info.

Respond back with answers to above to help further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back