Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Calendar entries disappeared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarch20

MIS
Jul 31, 2006
US
Hi,
I am the computer tech for my office and I have a manager who uses Sidekick 98 extensively. I personally have no experience with Sidekick (learning fast, though).

The problem is that he was having network connectivity issues and all of a sudden he lost his Calendar.

First off, I tried do Backup\Restore and getting ISKpgbk.log and ISKmltdk.log does not exist in directory.

But opening the NYLI calendar db opens a blank calendar. Unable to see any entries.

I tried doing a system restore but the computer would not let me restore.

Manager is using a IBM Thinkpad T42 with Windows XP Pro.

If anybody can solve this I will burn a copy of Sidekick 98 and send it to anyone, free of charge.

I will also send a copy of his USERDATA folder if that will help.

I forget to mention that I tried creating a new calendar and then copying the files from the old USERDATA to the new USERDATA, renaming the files.

That was one of the earlier post.

Dear mrmarch20,
The problem seems to be related to your first statement that he was having connectivity 'issues'...
Are you sure that the calendar was on his computer at all, perhaps it was on another computer altogether!
Look around the network for .skw files and if you find a group of them as in
See
especially Q02
How do I back up and restore my user data in Sidekick 98?
the files that make up a calendar look like this:

Your "Calendar file" is actually up to nine files in the XXXX????.SKW format, where XXXX stands for your name or initials (which can actually be shorter eg XX if you saved it with only 2 initials).
When saving, opening, backing up, or restoring calendar files, Sidekick 98 lists XXXX as the name of the calendar.
The ???? part of the file name stands for the type of calendar file, as listed here:
· XXXXEVEN.SKW Appointments
· XXXXCALL.SKW Calls
· XXXXTASK.SKW To Dos
· XXXXMAST.SKW Goals
· XXXXRECR.SKW Recurring Activities
· XXXXINIT.SKW Calendar Settings (includes print settings)
· XXXXCSCA.SKW Personal list definitions
· XXXXDATA.SKW Special days and multi-day events
· XXXXALAR.SKW Alarms

See how you get on

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

When I try the Retsore I keep getting the log file errors.

In the my backup folder these are my files for NYLI:

NYLIINIT.SKW
NYLIEVEN.TMP
NYL9A.tmp
NYL7D.tmp
NYL7C.tmp
NYL7B.tmp
NYLIEVEN.SKW
NYLIMAST.TMP
NYL24.tmp
NYLIcsca.skw

DOT4_001.187.2
USB00118.187.2

The last 2 I don't know what they are. All the other files in the USERDATA folder look like default files so I am not including them.

I tried restoring and creating new calendar no to avail. I just don't know what the other files are.

I have the zipped folder for USERDATA if anyone wants to see. :)

I forgot to mention that the manager only used Sidekick on a local machine and had wanted to do a network version but never got around to doing it.

Dear MrMarch20,

See the following picture for a list of the files in a standard calendar,these are taken out of the Userdata folder.

If you do a restore using Sidekick's Backup and restore program you are quite likely to overwrite the original calendar, so always copy ALL of the userdata somewhere else.

Hope the above is some help.
See also the faq pages at the above site.

Regards
Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back