Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All browsers hang on certain web pages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougjensen

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
One of my three XP Pro PC's hangs on certain web pages,
notably my own at where it hangs on flashtest.htm -- regardless of whether the browser is IE6 (SP1 or not), Netscape 4.79, and Opera 6. All these browsers can handle Flash and Java on other pages, but all seem to have a problem with JavaScript at least on a number of sites that I have noticed. Upgrading to XP SP1 had no effect. I can't find a solution on MS's web site. I would be most grateful for assistance. Thank you.

Doug Jensen, jensen@real-time.org

Thanks for that great link. Unfortunately IE6 hung on the scripting test page, and none of Langa's links for dealing with scripting errors apply to IE6 in XP (e.g., MS's KB article about downloading the latest scripting engine does not apply to XP).

Re: Repair IE 6 (this was valid prior to SP1, things might have changed since SP1).

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4. However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available

Using SFC /Scannow at the command prompt will help in repairing IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back