Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All back up jobs request me to insert a overwrite media

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzamora

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2006
US
Hi

I had just intalled a Windows 2000 Server and a Symantec Backup Exec 10d ( Both with all the updates ), and all my backup jobs gave me the following message:

"Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media."

I had set up my overwrite protection level to NONE, and I am using new tapes, I had also erased the tapes...

Any ideas ??

also getting the same problem - was working fine last week - now it backs up nearly all of the job then before finishing it ejects the tape and gives that "Please insert overwritable media into the drive" message.

Hi guys

The problem was Veritas was trying to back up in a stand alone device although I was configuring the job in my autoloader.

Well I disconnected the stand alone device, but know I received this error

"Specified destination drive pool on local media server is empty "

????

gzamora,

Maybe the server is still trying to use the standalone device. Have you rebooted the server?

chrismithcvs,

You really should start your own thread.......but most likely your problem is that there isn't enough space left on the tape and a second tape is needed. Is every job set to overwrite or are they set to append? How big is the backup job? How big is the tape?

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks SQLBill

You were right I reboot the server and it is working fine.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back