Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aligning symbols 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefaste

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
FR
I just tried using symbols to save up file space, but they don't align with the grid the same way as the ogiginal drawing. I don't see a way around that, but in case someone has an idea :

I'm making some tiles for a boardgame. Each tile is bordered by a square with a 1 pt stroke. The square aligns with the grid, so I can easily make rows of identical tiles. Note that the border of adjacent tiles overlap.
Now, if I make a symbol and use it to create my rows of identical tiles, it doesn't align properly with the grid. This is because the symbol's handles are on the outside of the bounding square. Thus, the symbol's position is shifted by 1/2 pt (half the stroke width).

I hope I explained myself clearly...

Please tell me if I didn't explain myself clearly... or if there's just no workaround.

Yeah - the question is kinda hard to understand.

When you say symbols, are you referring to a symbol font?

It sounds like you're drawing a bunch of rectangles/squares with a 1 pt stroke on each and the sticking the symbol in the rectangle/square. If that's so and the edges of the rectangles/squares overlap, that overlapping could certainly cause some alignment difficulties - the overlap being the kicker.

If you're using a symbol font, you'll have to use the various AI character. paragraph, area type options to align things better, but the overlap would still seem to be a problem.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Stephane:

Here's a workaround:

Place a Symbol instance;

Go to Effect>Distort&Transform>Transform, enter -.5 px for Horizontal and .5 px for Vertical movement;

Drag the Symbol onto the Styles palette, or click the flyout on the palette and select "New Graphic Style";

Apply this style to any instances of Symbols.

HTH

Bert

Bert: Thanks ! That's exaclty what I needed ! I really need to learn this Effect menu, I haven't look into that yet.

jmgalvin: Thanks for taking time answering. I wasn't talking about a symbol font, but the symbol palette (stacked with styles, swatch, shapes). Maybe it's another name ? (I don't use the english version).
The overlap is not the problem, I want them to overlap to have a 1pt stroke between each tile. The problem is file size, it's already 15 Mb and will be much bigger once finished.
And anyway, regardless of file size I think it's a better practice to use symbols instead of several copies, in case I want to change the design later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back